Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Newbie gun rig question.

12 Jun 2014 12:58 #10929

• Eskguy
Hello. I am registered to take the black badge course in July. I want to purchase the gun rig soon, however I am having some trouble identifying what is legal or not.

I have a Ruger SR9 and found a holster by FOBUS ROTO-HOLSTER PADDLE that stays within my budget. (see pic) Can you tell me if it meets the trigger coverage and holster retention test. If not, can you suggest a company that makes one that does.

Looking forward to the course.

attachmentshk1rp-002.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

There is no holster retention 12 Jun 2014 12:58 #10623

• WalterHornby
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 362
There is no holster retention test in IPSC.  As for the holster it looks like it covers the trigger but till i actually see it i cannot guarantee that.  Are you getting the Forbus from some one local?  if so who?  If you can find a Bladetech they are always a good choice.  I would suggest that you go down to Phoenix (take your gun) and see what they have.

DVC
Walter
wc-sales.ca

There is no holster retention 12 Jun 2014 12:58 #10624

• WalterHornby
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 362
There is no holster retention test in IPSC.  As for the holster it looks like it covers the trigger but till i actually see it i cannot guarantee that.  Are you getting the Forbus from some one local?  if so who?  If you can find a Bladetech they are always a good choice.  I would suggest that you go down to Phoenix (take your gun) and see what they have.

DVC
Walter
wc-sales.ca

I have been to a 12 Jun 2014 12:58 #10625

• Eskguy
I have been to a number of local gun stores. No one has a suitable holster for a Ruger SR9 in stock.

A suggestion would be to 12 Jun 2014 12:58 #10626

• Fergus
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 296
A suggestion would be to go up on Blade Tech's website and "click" on < OWB Holster> using the drop down boxes find your make and model. From there it is simply a case of ordering one. I know from experience that they are great and getting them shipped out promptly - if its in stock.

If your plan isn't working, change the plan not the goal

From the Alberta IPSC web 12 Jun 2014 12:58 #10627

• Eskguy
From the Alberta IPSC web site, under "Newbie Info - Choosing your equipment"

"Holsters for IPSC must retain the gun, and completely cover the trigger of the gun. You must be able to pass a holster retention test ( Rule 5.3.8 ). "

I know it is just 12 Jun 2014 12:58 #10628

• Globesmasher17
I know it is just a jpeg photo, but that Fobus holster also "points/angles" the muzzle of the firearm.

Be real careful with regards to the use of this holster and rule 5.2.7.3 .......... the angle of the holster may "point" the muzzle further than 1 meter (rearward in this case) from the competitor's feet while standing relaxed.

Furthermore, that a look at rule 10.5.6 ............. the "angle" of that Fobus holster may place you very close to violating this particular rule (which will make for a very short, yet expensive, day).

Just food for thought ..... as one can't really determine this measurement or angle pursuant to the rules I just mentioned until one is actually "wearing" the holster.  I'm just trying to say "be careful with that holster angle" ..... that's all.

The fobus holster should be 12 Jun 2014 12:58 #10629

• Sosa
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 54
The fobus holster should be ok from both retention and trigger coveragel.

The muzzle cant is adjustable on the roto style holsters so muzzle direction is not a big worry,

They are a budget holster and you would be much better served by a bladtech in my opinion, but needs must.

Do not get the paddle version of the holster as they have a habit of becoming detached during the draw when the retention is properly set. Get the version with the belt loops that securely attaches to your belt.

Member Login

By logging in, I agree to the Terms & Conditions