Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ruger SR9 safety - do I need to apply it

Ruger SR9 safety - do I need to apply it 08 Jun 2015 08:57 #12808

• Martyupnorth
My Ruger SR9 is approved for production division. It's striker fired, very similar to Glocks and Smith & Wesson M&Ps, but it has an additional safety. Do I need to apply the safety before I holster the gun?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ruger SR9 safety - do I need to apply it 08 Jun 2015 10:54 #12812

• KrakenFan69
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 408
I'm not an RO but I would say no you do not.
Rule 8.1.5.2 sure seems to describe your guns action to me.

8.1.5 In respect of handguns used at IPSC matches, the following definitions apply:
8.1.5.1 "Single Action" means activation of the trigger causes a single action to occur (i.e. the hammer or
striker falls).
8.1.5.2 "Double Action" means activation of the trigger causes more than a single action to occur (i.e. the
hammer or striker rises or retracts, then falls).
8.1.5.3 "Selective Action" means that the handgun can be operated in either "Single Action" or "Double
Action" modes.

Also 10.5.11.2 states the what would get you DQ'd with a DA gun.

10.5.11 Having a loaded and holstered handgun, in any of the following conditions:
10.5.11.1 A single action self-loading pistol with the chamber loaded and the safety not applied.
10.5.11.2 A double action or selective action pistol with the hammer cocked and the safety not applied.
10.5.11.3 A revolver with the hammer cocked

Further a striker fired gun has no hammer. The striker is pulled back and released on each trigger pull, so in a sense the "Hammer" (Striker) is not back and ready to drop when holstered. This action is similar to my CZ-75 where the double action first trigger pull draws the hammer back and releases it and my loaded and ready condition is hammer lowered and no safety applied. ( My CZ will not even allow me to apply the safety if the hammer is not back)

It will be interesting to hear from more knowledgeable people on this however as this topic interests me as we often run the timer for each other at league night and I want to ensure I am following proper procedures as per the IPSC rules.

EDIT: Further to this the SR9 Manual states that the striker is "semi cocked" when the slide is racked. See page 12 here.

www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/sr9c.pdf
This is considered one of the inherent safeties of the striker fired system. If you are more comfortable with the safety on I do not think it would bump you to standard to have it engaged however.

This video makes an interesting point about the SR's safeties as well. I would try the "decocking" method he uses at a gun range for my own knowledge of the gun's operation but would NOT do this at a match for any reason. EVER.

Kraken Fan #69
Last Edit: 08 Jun 2015 11:09 by KrakenFan69.

Ruger SR9 safety - do I need to apply it 08 Jun 2015 11:26 #12814

• Contondant
  • Tony Dube
  • Thank you received: 9
Krakenfan is correct.
Short answer: No. It's integrally in a "safe condition" for holstering by virtue of the stricker fired "Double action only" action.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface, but always paddling like the dickens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KrakenFan69

Ruger SR9 safety - do I need to apply it 08 Jun 2015 13:33 #12817

• resolve
  • Thank you received: 44
The SR9 is unique among striker fired pistols in that it has an external safety as well as the internal safety systems. This question has come up before in IPSC AB and on the Global Village. The information I have read and discussions I have been privy to indicate the SR9 is to be treated the same as a Glock, M&P, XD, etc. in terms of it being considered "safe" without the need to activate the external safety. The primary safety system is internal, the external safety is an additional safety.

Frank Vass
IPSC AB PTO
You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tuner, KrakenFan69, Martyupnorth

Ruger SR9 safety - do I need to apply it 08 Jun 2015 15:21 #12820

• Martyupnorth
Thank you all for the clarification. I look forward to using my SR9 in an upcoming competition.

Member Login

By logging in, I agree to the Terms & Conditions